COMPILATION ... Overtone
produced Larry, Spike, Clark
exec produced Bob Wyper
No history of the Ayrshire music scene would be complete without a nod to Bob Wyper. Although a performer of some note himself it was his entrepreneurial bent that stood him apart. In a community deeply risk-averse to the arts Bob would throw aside caution and have a go.
In 1984 he put out the Overtone albums, a series of compilation records which were recorded in our studio. Pulling such a thing together in itself was no small feat and was deserving of credit. To do so and produce half decent work was praise-worthy indeed. Even the production on these tracks, with their quasi-demo character, was respectable given each song would have been recorded in little more than a couple of hours.
The selection here was taken from the four Overtone releases and was reflective of a huge talent pool of bands working in Scotland at the time. The entrepreneurial talent was always far thinner on the ground beyond the rare occasion such as with this compilation.
from a private collection for streaming only
click to play
- 01. Conversation • Red
- 02. Saturday's Girls • The King's Magic Suit
- 03. Messiah • The Judy Ferrado Band
- 04. Fade Away • Action Station
- 05. Jazz Clique • All That Jazz
- 06. Have You No Style • Alphawitzens
- 07. Face Of The Eighties • 22nd Story
- 08. Shout It Out • Nathan
- 09. Lover's Disguise • 69 In The Shade
- 10. Save It For Winter • Never The Ring
- 11. Winning • Xi-Zero
- 12. Dancing In The Snow • Heavens Above
- 13. New Life • Print Cuts
- 14. Don't Look • Shady Deal